Wednesday, August 20, 2014

TV Show Bullying Adopted Children

After just writing a blog post on adoption, I chanced upon a TV show on ABS CBN called Hawak Kamay and what the "3 mean girls" in the movie were saying to this other girl was exactly what I was talking about. "Pinamigay siya ng mommy niya. Hindi siya mahal ng mommy niya." (Her mom gave her away. Her mom doesn't love her) And other insults about being adopted were being said.



I think media should stop portraying adopted kids this way. This is not the first time something like this has happened on TV. Several TV shows or soap operas use this story line. If only I could remember the titles of these shows.

What really frustrates me is the fact that these people don't realise the message that their actors are saying to kids. They are saying that kids that are adopted are not loved. They are saying that it's ok for adopted children to be bullied. Don't these writers realise the impact this may have on children? Yes, Parental Guidance is flashed on the side of the screen, but I honestly don't think that's enough. To think, this show is supposed to teach kids lessons. What a lesson!!!

I experienced being bullied because I was adopted when I was in grade school and it was not fun. It crushed my self esteem, but it's a good thing I have an amazing family and great friends that helped me get over those bullies. What about those kids that do not know how to tell the adults that they are being bullied?

It's so upsetting.

No comments:

Post a Comment